Thursday, August 12, 2010

Air/Condition by Peter Sloterdijk
ATMOSPHERE(topic-based):
Gaseous envelope or medium at a given place, such as the one surrounding the earth.
A unit of pressure (14.7 lbs per square inch is the atmosphere of air at sea level).
A surrounding mood or emotional tone embodying either a work or situation.
A distinctive quality given to a subject, such as a place, for descriptive purposes.


UNCONSCIOUS (descriptive/active):
The part of the mind containing psychic material influential to behavior, but goes without awareness, sensation, or cognition.

Discovery of the unconscious through psychoanalysis - How Dali saw his art.

Down six fathoms, my fins firmly rooted on the bottom of Lake Michigan, I stood surrounded by an alien environment. The deep blue waters were enlivened by the shimmering sun in a hopeful attempt to penetrate the depths and have a peek itself at what lay ahead. The wreck, distinguishable only as a ghost form, lay in two pieces; its hull pointing upwards forever frozen in its last attempt to clutch to the world it knew before plunging into the abyss and the stern horizontal in acquiescence. This skeleton, now a haven for zebra mussels and gobies--both invasive species from afar--creates a surreal world in a changing environment. As I inhale and exhale from my supply line, a series of bubbles--a reminder of my being a visitor to this place--rise up and away, frantically racing towards the faint light above. I am truly immersed in another atmosphere, like Dali in his dive suit, both with limited air supply, but mine remains clearly indicated. I instantly feel more self-aware in this environment around me and realize the odds at which I am with my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment